CU Software is the university’s central software licensing resource. We help the Cornell community save on software costs by using economies of scale and promoting software license opportunities. Last year, CU Software saved the university an estimated $2.1 million. Please note that each licensed product has its own eligibility criteria, and not all products are licensed at all locations.
Software Acquisition and License Management
CU Software is a collaboration between Cornell Information Technologies (CIT), Procurement and Payment Services, and the Cornell Store’s Technology Connection. CU Software's core service is software acquisition and license management. We handle all the details involved in providing the lowest prices for the software the Cornell community uses. Faculty, staff, and students in all Cornell locations and formal affiliations—Ithaca, Geneva, New York City, Washington, Qatar, and more—can use our services.
- Software license and contract management is managed by Procurement and Payment Services.
- Software sales and fulfillment and software license renewal are managed by The Cornell Store.
- Software technical support, electronic software distribution, and new software license assessment are managed by CIT.
- Reduce software license fees
- Reduce software administrative costs
- Reduce the incidence of non-compliance and software piracy
We help the Cornell community;
- Identify software needs
- Determine which software best meets those needs
- Do research on software manufacturers and vendors
- Arrange vendor demonstrations or presentations
- Negotiate the best agreement possible
- Develop cost-recovery pricing models for the software
- Inform the Cornell community of software availability
- Provide methods of ordering software
- Distribute software
- Fulfill requirements of vendor contracts
- Manage billing, collecting, and reconciling designated accounts
We also provide installation and registration support for the software we manage.
CU Software currently manages 25 different license agreements for more than 100 products. Most of these agreements have annual or multi-year terms, which are continually evaluated and renewed. We encourage all departments to consider assigning their software licensing to us so the university can maximize its purchasing power.