For new installations (Windows and Mac)
This article applies to: Software Licensing
Activation of Mathematica 8 or higher requires you to get an individual Activation Key from Wolfram Research, the manufacturer of Mathematica. If you have not previously done so, you will need to register your email address to get this key.
- Refer to your online order confirmation notice and go the URL for the Cornell University Activation Key Request Form on the Wolfram site. If you need your online order confirmation notice, please see Look Up Your Software License Codes.
Note: The URL can be found by clicking the link on the order confirmation page.
- Log in to the Activation Key Request Form with your Wolfram ID. If you do not have a Wolfram ID, click and follow the instructions on that page.
Note: Your Wolfram ID must be a "cornell.edu" email address. If you used a non-Cornell email address as your Wolfram ID in the past, please create a new one with your Cornell address.
- After signing in with your Wolfram ID, you will be prompted to verify your name and contract address. Please also select the configuration type you originally purchased (single machine or network), and the operating system you need, then click .
- You should see a new page titled Your Activation Key Has Been Created with an Activation Key. Keep this page open for now.
- Download the Mathematica installer.
- Run the Mathematica Installer
- Windows: The installer is delivered as a .zip file. Right-click the file, and select Extract All from the dropdown menu. This will create a new folder. Within that new folder will be a file called 'setup.exe'. Double-click that file to start the installation.
- Macintosh: The installer is delivered as a .dmg file. Double-click that file to mount the installer as a virtual disk, which will appear on your Desktop. Open that disk and follow the on-screen instructions.
- During the installation process, we recommend that you accept all of the default values. At the final option screen, click Install. The installation process will take several minutes.
- After installation is complete, click Finish to launch Mathematica for the first time.
- When Mathematica launches, copy-and-paste or type in your Activation Key from the Wolfram web page (Step 4 above). After Mathematica accepts the Activation Key, you will need to accept the License Agreement.
Mathematica should now be installed and ready for use.
Please email email@example.com with any questions or if you need additional assistance.