This article applies to: Software Licensing
Mathematica is a highly sophisticated computational software package developed by Wolfram Research. The current release, Mathematica 11, features a natural language interface with built-in integration with Wolfram Alpha, the manufacturer's online computational engine. Your Mathematica license includes a license for Alpha Pro, which will allow you to use the Alpha engine with your own data.
News and Updates
March 28, 2018: Mathematica 11.3 is available. Existing customer can upgrade from within Mathematica. We have linked the new installer in the Download section.
Purchase a License
Mathematica licenses are available to Cornell students, staff, and faculty. There is a licensing fee to use the software. That fee is significantly less than standard academic retail. Our Mathematica license runs from August 1st through July 31st of the following calendar year. All Mathematica licenses expire on the same date, regardless of the date of initial purchase. We are not able to offer prorated pricing.
- Staff and faculty licensing: Your Mathematica license entitles you to download and install the software onto one Cornell-owned computer. Your license entitles you to free upgrades if new releases become available during the license period. Network installation is also an option. Please contact us for details on network licensing.
- Student licensing: The Mathematica student license is for students registered at Cornell, and is only for installation onto a student's personally-owned computer. Staff and faculty should not purchase the student edition or activate Mathematica with the student license on any Cornell-owned computer. Doing so will violate Cornell's license agreement with Wolfram.
Home Use License for Staff and Faculty
A separate Mathematica Home Use license is available at no additional cost to Cornell staff and faculty who have purchased current Mathematica licenses.
If you are interested in the home-use license, please follow the link below and request one from Wolfram, who will send a home-use copy to your residence.
Staff and faculty should not use the installers linked from this page to install Mathematica onto personally owned computers! Doing so will violate Cornell's license agreement with Wolfram.
This software is licensed to Cornell University and its use is strictly limited to subscribed Cornell students, faculty, and staff at the main campus and affiliate facilities.
- Windows - Mathematica 11.3
- Mac - Mathematica 11.3
- Linux - Mathematica 11.3
- Mathematica License Manager 11.3 (all platforms)
- Windows - Mathematica 10.4.1
- Mac - Mathematica 10.4.1
- Linux - Mathematica 10.4.1
- Mathematica License Manager 10.4.1 [all platforms]
Earlier versions of Mathematica are available upon request.
Please see Install Mathematica for step-by-step instructions for installing and activating Mathematica.
Please contact us if you have any questions about Mathematica licensing.