Two-Step Login adds an extra layer of security to your Cornell NetID and password by requiring:
- something you know (your NetID and your password), plus
- something you have (a physical device, like your phone)
This is called two-factor authentication, and it's required for access to many university services, such as Workday, Student Center, and Student Essentials. Duo Security provides the technology behind Two-Step Login. Two-Step Login makes it much more difficult for intruders to use your identity to access campus services. Even if your password has been stolen, the second step to the login process will prevent someone from logging in.
For many university services and information, particularly those that grant access to sensitive information, you will be required to use Two-Step Login.
- Decrease your risk of account compromises and identity theft, along with the consequences of lost time, money, and privacy
- Use your smartphone, cell phone, tablet, landline phone, or USB security key to confirm your login requests
- Get alerted if your password is stolen or guessed as soon as someone tries to log in
- Choose to let Two-Step Login trust your browser for 24 hours (for most login requests)
Who Can Use Two-Step Login
Two-Step Login accounts are available to all current students, faculty, staff, alumni, retirees, and affiliates, as well as people who have a Sponsored NetID.
People who have GuestIDs are not eligible for Two-Step Login.
- Where you go to start using Two-Step Login
- Where you go to update your devices and preferences
Cornell IT Service Desk
Normal Business Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm (Eastern Time)
Emergency Service Disruptions: After Hours Support
Extra security for your Cornell NetID password