Two-Step Login Setup Guide
Detailed instructions about how to set up Two-Step Login. For a shorter version of these instructions, see Get Started with Two-Step Login.
This article applies to: Two-Step Login
This page will guide you through steps for setting up your devices in Two-Step Login.
- Enroll a phone (either smartphone, cell phone, or landline) or tablet.
- Install the Duo app on a smartphone or tablet.
- Enroll a hardware token, a small device you carry on your keychain. You can purchase hardware tokens online or in person at The Cornell Store.
- Enroll a Security Key, a USB based key that only works with Chrome or Firefox. You can purchase a security key online.
- Enroll Touch ID, to use a fingerprint reader with MacOS and Chrome. Learn more about Using Apple Touch ID with Duo.
Set Up Devices
- Sign in at Manage Your Two-Step Login with your NetID and password.
Select Start Enrolling Devices Now.
OR, for a Hardware Token, select the Enroll a Hardware Token tab and skip to the hardware token section of Step 5.
Select Start setup.
Select the type of device you would like to enroll, then click Continue.
- Choose from the steps below based on the type of device you are enrolling:
If you selected phone:
- Enter your phone number.
- Enter your extension, if needed.
- Check the box to confirm your number is correct.
If you selected tablet, you won’t be asked to enter a number.
If you selected security key, insert your key in a USB port on your computer. When prompted, touch the flashing key icon on the UF2 security key.
If you selected Touch ID:
- Make sure that you're not blocking pop-up windows for the enrollment site.
- Place your finger on the Touch ID sensor, when prompted.
- Select Allow, if asked to let Duo to use information about Touch ID.
If you selected hardware token:
- Enter the serial number on the back of your token, above the barcode.
- Select Submit.
Select your device’s operating system.
Instructions specific to your device will appear. Follow the instructions to install the Duo Mobile app. After installing the app, return to the enrollment window and select I have Duo Mobile installed.
Activate the app using the Duo Mobile app’s built-in barcode scanner on the code on your computer screen, then follow the on-screen instructions specific to your device. The Continue button is clickable after you scan the barcode successfully.
Add at least one backup device in case your primary device is not available. Select Add another device. You will resume the process above in Step 4.
Strongly recommended: Safeguard all your personal information accessed through CUWebLogin.
- Select Expand Where You Use Two-Step Login.
- Select Opt-In.
Confirm by completing the second step of logging in.
If you don't see the Expand Where You Use Two-Step Login tab, you are required to use Two-Step Login with any service where you log in with CUWebLogin. For more information about this additional security measure, please see Expansion of Two-Step Login for Nonacademic Employees.
- While in Manage Your Two-Step Devices, select Device Options.
- Select Change Device Name.
Enter a name such as
Desk Phone, or
- Select Save.
Test Two-Step Login
After you have enrolled your devices, test Two-Step Login to confirm that it works.
- Select the Your Two-Step Login Devices tab.
- Select Manage Devices. This will open the Two-Step Login Authentication Prompt.
- Two-Step Login will prompt you to confirm using a push, phone call, or passcode.
For more information about this service go to Two-Step Login.
This guide was adapted from the “Enrollment Guide” on the website “Duo Guide to Two Factor Authentication,” by Duo Security, Inc. [US], March 29, 2017.