IT Services Available with Your Role at Cornell
Cornell links which services you can access with the role or relationship that you have with the university. CIT works with the offices of record, sponsors, and service providers to adjust your privileges when your role or relationship changes.
This article applies to: NetIDs
Faculty and Employees
This table details which services are available to current and former faculty, trustee, staff, postdoc, and other employment relationships. Current faculty, staff, and students generally have access to most Cornell services.
- Individuals who are changing to a new role that may cause them to lose access to particular services should save information or transfer administrative control before their status changes. See What Happens When You Leave: Steps to Take Regarding Access to a Specific IT Service.
- Employees who leave without retiring and faculty who leave without retiring or becoming emeritus do not retain access to any Cornell services.
- Postdocs are employees, so the Staff options apply to them. However, when a postdoc leaves, their situation with regards to email can be more complicated. See also More About Former Postdoc Email to learn more.
In the following table, find the column under your current role with the university, then read down to see which services are available to you.
|Active Academics||Academic Retirees||Staff Retirees||Staff||Exception with Sponsor||Temp||Affiliate||Trustee||Former Postdoc|
|Notes||Includes all active academic and faculty roles and Emeriti (which now incorporates both professorial and RTE emeritus roles||(Also incorporates RTE faculty retirees) who retain access to Box and Online learning, distinctive from Staff Retirees||Leave of Absence or Layoff see note 2||See notes 1, 3|
|Office 365 mailbox|
|Optional Google Workspace (G Suite) account||See webpage More About Former Postdoc Email|
|Forward email to external address (see Note 4)|
except Retired faculty
|Varies by product and affiliate group|
|Adobe Creative Cloud and Acrobat Pro||
except Retired Faculty
|Who I Am|
|Electronic Pay Stubs in Workday|
See note 5 below
|Online Learning (LinkedIn and SkillSoft)|
- Pay stubs and personal information:
- Former employees who need copies of paystubs or who need to change personal information (for example, a home address in order to receive W2’s) should contact the Payroll Office.
- Retirees can continue to access paystubs in Workday.
- Faculty and staff on a leave of absence or on layoff status can retain full access to employee services for up to 12 months following the leave or layoff date.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension retirees from campus retain their NetIDs. County retirees do not.
- Office 365 Email Forwarding: Former Cornell employees who are alumni or students should be aware of changes that will be taking place to email and storage services for students and alumni. For details, visit Alumni: Preparing for Storage Changes and Students: Preparing for Storage Changes. Former employees who forwarded their Office 365 email to an external address and wish to continue to do so after their status changes must set up Forwarding in Google Workspace to an External Address before their Office 365 access ends.
- Emeriti do retain access to Zoom, but this is not currently an automatic process. Emeriti who need Zoom access should contact the IT Service Desk.
Death or Incapacity
Requests to access or deactivate accounts belonging to staff or faculty who are incapacitated or deceased should be directed to Cornell's HR Services and Transitions Center by email or phone (607-255-3936).
Faculty or Staff: Questions or Concerns?
If you believe you received a NetID deprovisioning notification in error, or have other questions or concerns, please contact your department’s human resources staff. If you do not know who those individuals are, Find Your HR Rep.
Students and Alumni
In the following table, find the column under your current role with the university and read down to see which services are available to people in that role.
|Student||Alumni||Former Student not alumni
(see notes 1 and 2)
|Office 365 mailbox||Available starting September 2022|
|Google Workspace account||Graduated August 2022 or earlier|
|Forward email to external address|
|Who I Am|
|Electronic Pay Stubs in Workday|
|Library resources||See note 3|
- Former students who are not alumni lose access to their Cornell G Suite for Students account, library resources, licensed software downloads, and other Cornell services reserved for student use. They can still access Student Center.
- Students on an official leave of absence retain their NetIDs for up to 5 years.
- Library resources: E-resource access is provided when licenses permit. Cornell University Library also has resources for Alumni and Friends.
Students and Alumni: Questions or Concerns?
If you believe you received the NetID deprovisioning notification in error, or have other questions or concerns, please contact the Office of the Registrar.