Alumni: Preparing for Storage Changes
The information on this page applies to alumni with graduation dates of August 2022 and earlier.
This article applies to: Strategic Storage Initiative
The information on this page applies to alumni with graduation dates of August 2022 and earlier. If you are still a student, see Students: Preparing for Storage Changes.
You can keep Gmail, Drive, and Photos on your Cornell Google account. Storage caps were applied in July 2022.
Google Services Storage Caps
Storage caps are in place for all alumni Google accounts. This includes (but is not limited to) Gmail, Drive, and Photos.
- If you had 15GB or less of storage in your Google account as of July 2022, your account was capped at 15GB.
- In July 2022, accounts with more than 15 GB of stored data were capped at the amount they were using.
- In May 2024, all Google accounts must be below 200 GB of data stored.
- In early 2025, all Google accounts must be below 15 GB of data stored.
This gradual decrease was implemented to allow those with large amounts of data ample time to move to other services.
Microsoft 365 Email
If you would like a Microsoft 365 email account, you can request one.
- If you have less than 15GB of data stored, you do not need to take any action.
- If you have more than 15GB of data stored, plan to reduce your storage under 200GB by May 2024, and 15GB by early 2025. This gradual decrease was implemented to allow those with large amounts of data ample time to move to other services.
- See the resources available at Move Your Personal Data for suggestions on how to transfer your Cornell Google files and email to another service.
If you have questions about these steps or other technical issues, please submit a ticket to CIT Collaboration and Utility Services. (If you don't know how to sign in with your NetID and password, you can submit your question using the general IT Service Desk Support Form.)