Microsoft Licensed Software Support
This article applies to: Software Licensing
Members of the Cornell community have several technical support resources available for Microsoft products.
Technical Support from CIT
CIT currently provides free technical support to the Cornell community for:
- Microsoft Exchange E-mail Services (including Exchange Server, Active Directory, Outlook and Entourage e-mail/calendar clients, and Outlook Web Access)
- Installation and activation of the Microsoft Office Professional Plus suite
To start a support request, please contact the IT Service Desk and your report will be escalated to an appropriate support provider.
Free Online Support from Microsoft
You can find solutions to technical problems in Microsoft's Support Solution Center:
- Microsoft FixIt - A knowledgebase for common support issues.
- Microsoft Answers - Searchable community-based forums.
- Microsoft Help Blog - Extensive listing of technical information.
Fee-Based Advanced Issue Support from Microsoft
The following options are available to you from Microsoft's Problem Resolution Services:
- Business Hours Telephone Support: $259 (One incident)
- Business Hours Telephone Support: $1289 (5-pack of incidents)
- Business-Critical After Hours Telephone Support: $515 (One incident)
- E-mail Only Support: $99 (One incident)
To request Advanced Issue Support from Microsoft, please call (800) 936-4900 or use their Assisted Support Options page.
Microsoft Premiere Standard Support Agreement
Departments can set up their own local support agreements with Microsoft at a discounted subscription rate under New York State's Premiere Support Agreement. Any college or unit with a need for a customized Microsoft support agreement may leverage the NYS agreement and establish an independent Premiere Support Agreement. The current hourly rate for Premiere Support is $195 per hour, and Microsoft will require the purchase of designated blocks of hours.
Premiere support is designed to be used for business-critical, time-sensitive technical issues.
Common examples of block designations are:
120 hours: (estimated $57,000 per year):
- 120 hours: support assistance with a Technical Account Manager
- 40 hours: problem resolution
- maximum of $2100 per incident for onsite support visits.
40 hours: (estimated $23,000 per year):
- 40 hours: support assistance with a Technical Account Manager
- 25 hours: problem resolution
- Maximum of $2100 per incident for onsite support visits.
If you are interested in setting up a Premiere Support Agreement, please contact the CU Software office at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will put you in touch with an appropriate Microsoft representative.