IT Security Checkup
This article applies to: National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
Take this opportunity for a digital security checkup and boost good data hygiene habits:
- Secure your online accounts.
- Improve the safety of everyday online behaviors.
- Get a better understanding of tools to increase online safety.
Checkup for Cornell
Change your NetID password to a passphrase.
Why a passphrase instead of a password? Passphrases are long, complex, and easy to remember. (Most other long, complex passwords aren't easy to remember.)
Here's a sample: I rode my bike at 2 o'clock.
It's 28 characters long, has upper- and lower-case letters, a number, and special characters.
- Focus on positive sentences or phrases that you like to think about and are easy to remember.
- Make sure the phrase is unique and you're not using it with any other site or service.
- When you're ready, learn how to change your NetID password.
If you haven't already expanded your use of Two-Step Login, set it up now.
Two-Step Login is like adding a second set of keys to unlock and use your Cornell NetID.
- Learn how to get started or expand where you use Two-Step Login.
- Make sure you enroll at least two devices and keep them up to date.
Use LastPass to securely manage your passwords.
LastPass saves all your passwords, so you don't have to. CIT offers a free LastPass enterprise account to all current students, faculty, and staff. Learn more and sign up for LastPass.
Check to see what devices are registered under your NetID with the Cornell network.
You can see what devices are currently registered under your name with the Cornell network and remove ones you no longer use. Visit mycomputers.cit.cornell.edu.
Checkup for the Wider World
Perform a security checkup on your other important online accounts.
Use two-factor authentication with your other online accounts.
Many sites support two-factor authentication. This mechanism adds an extra layer of protection to your accounts.
Visit twofactorauth.org for other accounts where you can enable two-factor authentication.