Add Captions in Video on Demand
How to add machine generated captions using Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) in Video on Demand. This method can generate captions in 10-20 minutes, but may require an hour or longer depending on the length of the video and the service load.
This article applies to: Video on Demand
Beginning in April 2018, Video on Demand will automatically add captions to all newly-uploaded videos using Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR). After this initial change, ASR captions will also be added to all previously-uploaded videos (which do not already have captions).
These instructions can still be used in the event that you have accidentally deleted your captions, or to add captions to previously-uploaded videos in the interval prior to these being added automatically.
Automated Speech Recognition (ASR) captions are rated at 70-80% accuracy. This varies depending on the audio quality of the recording, the clarity of the speaker(s), and the amount of technical terminology used. Given these variables, ASR captions will not, by themselves, meet the accessibility standards Cornell seeks to achieve.
- Log in to Video On Demand.
- Select My Media.
Select the video title or thumbnail.
- From the video’s page, go to the Actions drop-down menu to the bottom right of the video.
Select Order Captions from the drop-down list.
- Select the Source Media Language for your video.
Select Order Captions. The speed of the machine ASR captioning depends primarily on the current load being experienced by the captioning service. During periods of light load, machine captioning, even for videos of an hour or two, usually requires no more than 10 to 20 minutes to complete. During periods of high load on the captioning service, it may take several hours for captions to be completed.
On the confirmation screen, select OK.
- Once completed, captions will automatically be added to the video. Refresh the page with the video (after captions have completed) to see the captions. The machine ASR system will also auto-populate the video with AI-generated tags based on the caption content. Users can edit these tags as normal. Select the Edit button for the video to go to the Edit page to remove tags you don’t want.
- Open your My Media page.
- Select the Edit button next to the item.
Under Tags type
Select captionasr from the results.
- Select Save.