Cornell's Strategic Storage Initiative was prompted by Google's and Box's 2021 announcements that they were ending unlimited storage. The effort is managed by CIT and works in partnership with a campus advisory group and the IT Governance Council.
The Initiative is a multiyear effort to:
- Change the university's approach to storage services as vendors stop offering unlimited storage.
- Minimize disruption to teaching, research, and Cornell business storage.
- Monitor and react to changes in storage services and pricing.
- Prevent excessive storage growth and the unsustainable costs that would result from it.
Current and Future Timeline
Cornell Google services have ended for December 2022, May 2023, and August 2023 graduates.
Timing to be determined
Cornell Box accounts will no longer be unlimited. (More information about Box.)
Alumni with Google accounts exceeding 200GB of storage will need to reduce storage below 200GB.
Cornell Google services will end for December 2023, May 2024, and August 2024 graduates.
All Google accounts will need to reduce storage below 15GB. This includes (but is not limited to) Drive, Gmail, and Photos.
Current Box contract ends and a new one will take effect. It has not been established whether the new contract will include unlimited storage.
Cornell Google services will end for December 2024, May 2025, and August 2025 graduates.
Current Google contract that includes unlimited storage ends. Cornell will have around 325 TB of free storage, and costs will incur for additional storage.
Caps were applied to faculty, student, and staff Google Drive accounts. The default cap is 15 GB, unless the account had more in it at that time, in which case the cap was set above that level. (More information about faculty, student, and staff storage caps.)
Alumni direct communications began to all alumni who graduated August 2021 or earlier.
Alumni who graduated before December 2021 could request an Office 365 email account.
Student direct communications began and included:
- They can keep using Gmail until they graduate or switch to an Office 365 email account that they can keep as alumni.
Students can choose to use Microsoft 365 email (Outlook).