Use Channels in Video on Demand
How to Use Channels in Video on Demand.
This article applies to: Video on Demand
Channels are collections of your content and may contain video, audio, and image files. You may create many channels and duplicate content in channels. A channel's thumbnail image that is displayed in the Channels tab is created from the most recently added media and updates periodically.
Controlling Access to Channels using Privacy Settings
When you create a channel, you may restrict access using one of the following options. We recommend setting your channel's privacy setting, at the minimum, to the Restricted level.
- Public: No access restrictions. This channel type is open to the public at large and does not require a viewer to login with a NetID and password.
- Open: there are no access restrictions beyond requiring a viewer to log in with a NetID and password. This option allows anyone who logs in with a NetID to add new content to a channel.
- Restricted: there are no access restrictions beyond requiring a viewer to login with a NetID and password. The Restricted access level allows only the channel creator and members with a Contributor, Moderator, or Manager permission level to add media to the channel. This is the minimum recommended privacy setting for channels.
- Private: access to the channel is restricted only to people who the channel owner or manager has granted permission. Only viewers who have been granted access to the channel will see the channel in the Channels page.
- Shared Repository: this setting is functionally the same as the Private access level but adds the capability for members of the channel to add media in the Shared Repository to other channels where they have Contributor, Moderator, or Manager permission. Only viewers who have been granted access to the channel will see the channel in the Channels page.
Anyone with a NetID and password may open the Channels page. After logging in, a viewer will be able to see a list of all channels that they have permission to view. Note that this automatically includes all Open and Restricted channels.
Clicking on the thumbnail for a channel will take you to the channel's page where you will see a list of all the media in the channel. You may sort by the date added the file was added to the channel or alphabetically by media name. You may also view all media or only media that are video, audio, or image files. Note: the webcast file type is not currently in use.
If you have upload permissions for the channel, you will also see an button. This button is not displayed for viewers who don't have permission to add content to the channel.
On the channel's page, a summary pane on the right shows the current thumbnail, the number of media entries, the number of members, and the list of managers with links to the managers' email addresses. Note that the thumbnail image is loaded from the most recently added media and is updated periodically.
Viewing Media in a Channel
After you open a channel, click the thumbnail for the media you wish to view and the media will play in a new page.