Sign Up for Cornell LastPass Account
These steps explain how to get started with Cornell's password management service, LastPass.
LastPass requires Cornell's Two-Step Login service. If you're not already using it, sign up for Two-Step Login as your first step.
Overview of the LastPass Signup Process
- The signup process usually takes less than ten minutes.
- You'll need to know your NetID password.
- When installing the browser extension as described below, you may also need to know your computer's administrator password. It depends on how your unit manages computers. If you don't know the administrator password, ask your department's IT or computer support staff.
- You'll need to think of a new LastPass master password. It cannot be the same as your NetID password. The password needs to be at least eight characters long and include at least three of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
Log in to Cornell's Who I Am service, then click the tab.
If you see "Our information indicates that you have already enrolled in LastPass," instead of an Enroll button, you do not need the information on this page. You can log into LastPass.
Check your @cornell.edu email account. In a short while (usually only a few seconds), you'll receive an email like the one shown here.
Click the link in the sentence that begins "To activate your account..."
The LastPass website will open, on the Create An Account screen. Your Cornell email address will already be filled in, along with the temporary password that was in the email notice (you don't need to know or ever use that password).
- In New Master Password, create your new master LastPass password, using at least eight characters and including at least three of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, symbols. Make this a very strong password.
- (optional) In New Password Reminder, enter a hint that would help you remember what your master LastPass password is. If you forget your master password, LastPass will send you this hint.
- Put checks next to both statements at the bottom of the form (I have read... and I understand...).
- Click .
You'll see a screen that says Setup Duo Security. This step connects your LastPass account with Cornell's Two-Step Login service (which is provided by Duo). Your Cornell email address will already be filled in.
For Password, enter the new LastPass master password you just created (not your NetID password).
LastPass will ask you to verify your Duo Security username.
Do NOT change this entry. Just click . If you get an error at this point, contact the IT Service Desk.
You will see a confirmation screen that says Multifactor Has Been Enabled. Your final step is to add LastPass to the web browsers you use.
To add LastPass to the web browser you're using right now, click
Then click Quick Install (the big red button near the top of the page).
If you're using a Cornell-owned computer, you may be prompted to enter your computer's administrator password before you can proceed.
in the red header bar.
Want to install LastPass on other web browsers or on other computers or devices? Choose the ones you want from the LastPass Browser Installer page. Do NOT select the Universal Installer option.
- If you already have the LastPass extension installed on your web browser, log out of your LastPass account, then log back in (access these controls by clicking the LastPass icon in your browser's toolbar).
- To add LastPass to the web browser you're using right now, click
Each time you open your web browser, log in to LastPass and it will handle your password needs from there on out. If you prefer, you can configure it so that you are prompted to log into LastPass when your browser opens.