Dell Warranty Hardware Repair
Cornell offers on-site next-day or sooner warranty service on the Ithaca campus for Cornell‑owned Dell desktop and laptop computers under hardware warranty.
Location: 120 Maple Ave, Ithaca NY
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm
Dell warranty repairs may be requested only by department technical support providers (TSPs).
- Initial troubleshooting to determine that warranty service is necessary.
- Verifying that the computer is eligible for warranty work.
- Backing up the computer before the warranty service and restoring data and reinstalling software, if necessary, after the repair is complete.
Determine if a Dell Computer Is Under Warranty
Dell's Support web site (www.dell.com/support) has an easy-to-use online form to check if a computer is under warranty. To determine if a computer is under warranty, enter the computer's Service Tag number in the form.
Only Dell computers with a ProSupport or Basic Hardware Service warranty with a minimum of at least "Next Business Day" on-site service-response level are eligible for repairs through this service. For details, visit Dell Warranty Hardware Repair Terms and Conditions.
Before submitting a repair request, please make sure you have completed
Submit your Request for Warranty Service During Standard Business Hours
Technical support providers (TSP) in Cornell departments or units may request warranty service during standard business hours by contacting:
- Online Form (Available any time): Hardware Repair (Dell Warranty) Request
- Non-Repair Inquiries, use form or call: 607-255-7120
We require the following information to start a warranty repair request:
- TSP's name, NetID, and phone number
- End user's name and phone number
- Dell computer model
- Dell Service Tag number for the computer
- Warranty date
- Location of the computer, including the building and room number
- Description of the problem
- Type of repair requested
- Summary of troubleshooting steps already performed
- Whether the BiOS has been updated to the latest version
- Whether the latest driver relevant to the component in question has been installed
Once we receive the request, a CIT Support technician will contact the TSP to schedule the warranty repair.
For details on the TSP's role in repairing hardware, see TSP Responsibilities.
Deliver Computer for On-site Repairs (at 120 Maple Ave.)
During campus COVID-19 restrictions:
All those meeting with NTT Data (Cornell's on-site Dell hardware repair vendor) will be required to:
- Wear a mask while dropping off their computer.
- Comply with all relevant Cornell campus guidelines.
- After hand-off to NTT Data, all computers will be wiped down with antiseptic wipes.
- After hand-off to NTT Data, you should either wait in the lobby until the repair has been completed or schedule a time to pick up the device.
- After repairs have been completed, NTT Data will again wipe down the device using antiseptic wipes before returning the device.
- To ensure safety, NTT Data personnel may arrive on campus just prior to a scheduled drop-off and then leave campus following completion of the hardware service.
In addition, NTT Data personnel may choose to divert an on-site repair to a dispatch repair if they have concerns that:
- The computer has been used by faculty, staff, students, or others in a manner not consistent with Cornell’s COVID-19 travel and visitor policy.
- The computer has been used by individuals currently undergoing quarantine.
Dell Warranty Hardware Repair
For Fee: See details about fees
Not applicable or information not available.
Form to Get Help (if you have a NetID)
Form to Get Help (if you don't have a NetID)
Support Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm (Eastern Time)
Emergency Service Disruptions: After Hours Support