Register or Record a Domain Name at Cornell
Step by step guide for all requirements in the process to request or record a domain name at Cornell.
This article applies to: DNS
1: Network Administrator Submits a Request
Use the Request Form
The form requires ALL fields to be filled in.
- To register, click the e button.
- To record, click the button.
- E-mail notification #1 (Request) is sent to unit head.
- All requests proceed to Step 2.
2: The Unit Head Affirms or Denies the Request
Use the Approval Form
- In the Your comments field, enter the reasons for approving or denying the request.
To approve: Click the
- E-mail notification #2 (Approve) is sent to netadmin.
- Request for registration proceeds to Step 3 -or-
- Request for recording is complete.
- or -
To deny: Click thebutton
- E-mail notification #2 (Request Denied) is sent to netadmin.
- Domain is not created; request proceeds no farther.
3: Domain Name Manager Creates Domain or Refers Request for Review
See the Status Form
If the request clearly meets the criteria set forth in the policy (recognized name of a unit, registered student organization, etc.), then
- Domain Name Manager creates the domain.
- E-mail notification #3 (Domain Created) is sent to network administrator and unit head.
- Registration on the Campus Servers is Complete.
Adjust Nameservers for the Domain at the Registrar to point to the Campus DNS servers. Login to your Domain Registrar (ie: GoDaddy) and adjust the Nameservers. Typically there are three Nameserver entries. Remove the old ones and add these names:
After test changes have propagated you should be able to do all DNS Operations for the Domain from inside DNSDB. Feel free to contact Hostmaster for any questions or concerns.
If the request clearly does not meet the criteria set forth in the policy, then
- Domain Name Manager refers request to the Domain Review Board.
- Request proceeds to Step 4.
4: Domain Review Board Affirms or Denies Request
The Domain Review Board does the following:
- Requests supporting information from the requesting unit as needed.
- Enters the Review Board's decision in the Domain Name Registry within one month.
If the Domain Review Board approves request, then
- Domain is created.
- E-mail notification #4 (Approve) is sent to network administrator and unit head.
- Registration is complete.
If the Domain Review Board denies request, then