Use a Tascam Audio Recorder to Record and Share Course Audio
This article applies to: Classroom Technologies
Instructors needing to deliver course audio to students will be issued an audio recording device which attaches to a lapel (lavalier) microphone.
Panopto audio recordings may used in conjunction with video recordings of class note made with IPEVO board cameras (see Use an IPEVO V-ZR for Blackboard / Whiteboard Capture.)
Locate the microphone and attach the wind screen cap and lapel clip to the microphone.
Locate the microphone jack on the top of the recorder. Insert the plug end of the microphone cord into the jack (see "13" in the diagram below), then twist the screw to tighten it so it is secure.
Open the cover for the microSD card slot, then insert the card into the slot as shown in the diagram below.
The Power button is located on the right side of the device (see "11" in the diagram below). Slide the power button to the left, toward the O/I symbol, and hold for one second until
Tascam DR-10Lappears on the device’s front display.
Set the Date and Time on the Recording Device
DATE / TIMEto indicate the date has not been set. If you will be managing multiple audio files recorded on different dates, to minimize confusion it is recommended that you set the correct date and time on the recorder before use.
- To set the date, press the Menu button on the front of the unit (see "2" in the diagram below).
Next, press the Up or Down arrow keys (see "3" and 4 below) until you see
Press Enter (see "5" below). The date is displayed in the format
Year-Month-Day / Hour-Minute.
- Use the Up or Down arrow keys to change the highlighted value to reflect the current date and time. Press Enter to proceed from one part of the date and time to the next value.
- Once the date and time have been set, press Enter ("5") to exit.
Make a Recording
To start a recording, slide the Power button to the right (see "11" in the diagram) toward the REC symbol.
- During recording, seconds elapsed will appear on the front display of the recorder.
- To stop recording, slide the power button to the right again (see "11" above) toward the REC symbol.
- The audio file will be automatically saved in the recording device's memory.
Transfer the Audio File to Video on Demand
To share the audio you have recorded, you need to upload the file(s) to Video on Demand. To do this:
Connect the recorder to a computer using the included USB cable.
Use the Up and Down arrow keys on the front of the recorder until
STORAGEis shown on the recorder's screen, then press ENTER (also the Play / Pause button) to connect the unit to the computer. The front display should then read
- Follow the instructions on Upload Media Files into Video On Demand.
Trim the Uploaded Recording
Usually an audio recording has awkward lengths of silence at the beginning and end. For the convenience of listeners, when this happens you should trim away the silent sections of the audio recording. You can do this in Video On Demand. Follow the instructions provided by Kaltura on Kaltura Video Editing Tools - Editor Tab.
Share the Audio Recording
See the Center for Teaching Innovation's instructions for sharing from Video on Demand that can be found under Making a Zoom Recording Sharable to Select Students.