Speakerphone (Clear One Chat 170 or similar models)
This article applies to: Classroom Technologies
For assistance with classroom audio-video equipment, please contact your local IT support staff.
The speakerphone will be placed in a central location in a classroom or conference room to provide clearer audio of discussion from all participants in the class or meeting to remote participants.
Advantages over laptop microphone
Speakerphones provide much better audio coverage and quality in a classroom or conference room setting than the microphone located on an instructor’s computer.
Connect using USB cable
To connect the speakerphone to your computer:
- Using a USB cable, connect one end to the USB port on the top side of the speakerphone.
- Plug the other end of the cable into one of the USB ports on your computer.
Select the correct device in Zoom and adjust the volume
To use the speakerphone for your Zoom session audio, log in to Zoom, then:
- Click Settings (gear icon) at top right of the screen.
- Under Speaker, from the dropdown box, select Echo Cancelling Speakerphone (Chat 170).
- To test the audio through the speakerphone, click Test Speaker. Make sure you hear the test music.
- To adjust the loudness, use the Volume slider and test again if necessary.
Next, under Microphone, from the dropdown box select Echo Cancelling Speakerphone (Chat 170).
- To test the recording level, click Test Mic and speak briefly and normally. Zoom will play back what you spoke.
- If you need to adjust the volume of the recording, use the Volume slider, then test again.
- If you would like Zoom to automatically adjust the volume level of the microphone, mark the Automatically adjust volume checkbox.
Mute classroom audio for remote participants
To briefly mute audio from the classroom so that remote attendees cannot hear, either:
If using Zoom during a meeting: from the meeting control bar, click the Mute button.
Be sure to click the Mute button again when you want to let remote attendees hear audio from the session again.
If using the speakerphone, press the Mute button on the speakerphone unit (microphone icon with a line through it).
Be sure to un-mute the audio by clicking the button again when you want to let remote attendees hear the room audio again.
Tips for use in the classroom
To provide the best audio quality to your remote participants:
- speak directly toward the speakerphone
- try to be within 6-8 feet of the speakerphone unit or one of its satellite microphones
- Clear One Chat Quick Start Guide.
- Clear One Chat User Manual.