Skip to main content

Networking Questions About Wired Network for Students

This article applies to: Wired Network

What are the requirements to use the wired network service?

Please see our Wired Netwlork Technical Requirements article.

Can I register more than one device?

Yes. Any device you want to use must be registered. For more information on how to register a non-browser device, see How to Register a Device without a Browser.

You may use a router, NAT, or similar device to connect multiple computers or other networkable devices with registration attached to the router. In this case, only the router or NAT needs to be registered.

Can I use my Xbox, PlayStation, or other game console or network-ready device with the wired network service?

Yes, but any game console, as well as any other network-ready device, must be registered with or behind a registered router. For more information, see How to Register a Device without a Browser.

Can I use my own Ethernet cable?

Please see our Wired Netwlork Technical Requirements article.

Can I get a custom hostname for my computer?

IP addresses are dynamically assigned, so you won't have the same IP address. If you want your computer to be recognizable by a host name that does not change, then you need to use a dynamic DNS service. See the Dynamic DNS page for more information.

Can I use a Wi-Fi connection with the wired network service?

Personal Wi-Fi access points must not interfere with the operation of any CIT or Cornell Wi-Fi network or device. Any Wi-Fi access point found to be interfering with the operation of a CIT or Cornell Wi-Fi network or device may be subject to immediate removal from the network until the interference is resolved. See Network Registry Policy 5.7 for information on how to register a Non-CIT Wireless Access Point (page 6 of the PDF).

Also, the performance of RedRover Wi-Fi may suffer service degradation in the presence of other devices that operate in the same radio frequencies. Devices that can interfere with Wi-Fi include, but are not limited to, unregistered wireless access points, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz cordless handset telephones, 2.4 GHz wireless cameras, wireless video/audio transmissions and transceivers, and microwave ovens.

Warning: Users should be particularly cautious of operating their own Wi-Fi access point as these devices, if unsecured, can be used by other individuals with Wi-Fi cards to access the network and generate usage charges on the connection belonging to the owner of the Wi-Fi access point. It is the responsibility of the subscriber to secure, monitor, and administer their Wi-Fi access point if they choose to operate one. Operators of a Wi-Fi access point will be held responsible for all network usage charges incurred, and may also be held liable for any misuse, including if the Wi-Fi node is accessed by other individuals. See here for more information on Network Registry Policy 5.7.

I have a registered device, but cannot connect to the campus network. What do I do?

The jack you are trying to connect with could be a Department-maintained connection and you should contact that department Network Administer. Also, see the Support page or contact the IT Service Desk for additional assistance.

How do I know if there's a problem with the network?

To check the current network status for the University, go to the Current status of CIT services page. Any known (planned or unplanned) network outages, service issues, or other problems will be reported on this page.

Was this page helpful?

Your feedback helps improve the site.