Add Zoom Session to Meetings Scheduled in Outlook
This article applies to: Zoom
You can add Zoom Session information to your meetings scheduled in Outlook. The steps listed below assume you have already scheduled the Outlook meeting and are going back to add the Zoom info, but you can use the same procedures to add Zoom info as you create the Outlook meeting.
There are two methods: Using the Zoom Add-in and Manual Cut and Paste.
Using the Zoom Add-in for Microsoft Outlook (Windows or Mac)
If you have the Zoom add-in for Microsoft Outlook installed, use this method to add a Zoom session to an existing Outlook calendar meeting. You cannot add a Zoom session to individual calendar entries in the past.
With Mac, it works better if Zoom is already running on your computer before following these steps.
Open your existing meeting in Microsoft Outlook.
If it is a recurring meeting, be sure to open a session that has not yet occurred.
If it is a recurring meeting and you want the Zoom information associated with all sessions (not just the single session you are opening), be sure to select when prompted.
Windows: In Outlook's Appointment toolbar, click .
Mac: Click (near the start and end time fields).
You may be prompted to sign in to Zoom. Please do so.
Click , then , enter cornell for the company domain, then sign in using your Cornell credentials. If a Zoom - Pro Account window opens, close it or move it out of the way.
- In the Zoom -Schedule a Meeting window that opens, select your preferred Zoom options, then click . The Zoom session information will automatically appear in the Outlook calendar entry.
- In the Outlook calendar entry, click to send the revised meeting information to your attendees.
Manual Cut and Paste
If you do not have the Zoom Add-in for Microsoft Outlook installed, or are using a different calendar or meeting system, you can still create a Zoom session and manually add that information to an existing meeting invite.
- Log in to https://cornell.zoom.us/
- Click Upcoming Meetings tab, click . in the left column, then, on the
Configure your Zoom session as normal https://it.cornell.edu/zoom/schedule-zoom-meeting).
If your Outlook meeting is recurring, be sure to check in Zoom; this will keep your Meeting ID from expiring.
- Click Schedule a Meeting screen when you are done setting up the Zoom meeting particulars. on the
- Find the Invite Attendees line, then click .
In the pop-up window, click
You can close Zoom in your browser now.
- Open your calendar entry in Outlook and paste the Zoom session information into it.
Be sure to clickso that all attendees for your meeting will receive the Zoom session information.
Encourage Cost-Saving Audio Selection
Using Zoom telephony, particularly premium audio telephony, costs the university money. When scheduling a Zoom session,
Ask participants to use computer audio if they can reasonably do so.
Using computer audio does not incur any expense to the university and is generally the best audio option for participating in a Zoom session.
If participants must join by phone, see if they can join by dialing in to the toll numbers rather than toll-free numbers.
Toll-free calling costs Cornell more. If you're sure none of your participants will need to call toll-free, edit the calendar invite information to remove the toll-free numbers so they aren't dialed by mistake.
Ask participants not to use the “Call Me” option to join by phone.
While it may add some convenience, this costs Cornell the most of any option.
So, when you create your calendar invitation in Outlook, consider adding something like this to the invite text:
- Use computer audio if you can; it saves the university money.
- If you need to connect by phone, use the toll number unless it will cost you money personally. A toll-free call is more expensive for the university.
- Please do not use the "Call Me" option. It costs Cornell the most.
- For iOS and Android users, the Zoom app for your device supports computer audio, so you can call from your own phone, not be charged, and still save Cornell money. Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.