University policy applies if you want to send a message to ALL members of one or more of the following groups:
CIT offers the ability to send an email message to large numbers of recipients. You could do it yourself, but consider the following:
- You'd have to enter ALL those email addresses into your mail client.
- You'd cause a sudden (and potentially disruptive) spike in network traffic.
- You might run afoul of university policy. (See University Policy 5.2, Mass Electronic Mailing.)
On the other hand, when you send your bulk message through CIT,
- Your email addresses can be provided in a variety of formats.
- Your mailing won't disrupt the Cornell network.
- You can avoid unintentionally doing something that could get you in trouble.