Handle Paper Documents with High Risk Data
This article applies to: Security & Policy
When you work with printed material containing high-risk data, handle it responsibly:
- Secure documents, so they are only accessible to authorized personnel (lock them in a drawer, cabinet, or office).
- Never leave documents unattended in a public area.
- Destroy or securely archive documents no longer needed for daily operations.
- Require a signed receipt of delivery when you send documents off campus.
- Seal and stamp “high-risk” all documents sent through campus mail.
- Destroy documents using a secure disposal service or a cross-cut shredder.
- If you fax or print a document, make sure the receiving device is in a secure location.
For full details, see Policy 5.10, Information Security, Security of Paper Documents.