Skip to main content

Cornell University

Change Devices for Secure Connect

When you upgrade your computer, phone, or tablet you will need to move your passkey to your new device.

This article applies to: Secure Connect

If you need to replace the device you use with Secure Connect, contact your local IT Support Group. You must have access to both devices in order to add Secure Connect to your new hardware.


To share feedback about this page or request support, log in with your NetID

At Cornell we value your privacy. To view
our university's privacy practices, including
information use and third parties, visit University Privacy.