Stay Safe Online This Holiday Season
The holidays are a great time to celebrate. Don't let criminals steal your good cheer. Be aware of scams that prey on your busy schedule and charitable giving. This year, the FBI and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) have observed an increase in highly impactful ransomware attacks occurring on holidays and weekends. Protect yourself online to ensure a safe and happy holiday season.
Immediate actions you can take now to protect against ransomware:
- Be sure to back up your data.
- Verify an email’s legitimacy before you open an attachment or link.
- Keep your apps and devices up to date.
- Protect your personal information, connected devices, and university data with Two-Step Login and LastPass secure password management.
Additionally, the FBI and CISA recommend maintaining vigilance against the multiple techniques cybercriminals use to gain access to networks, including:
- Phishing scams, such as unsolicited emails posing as charitable organizations.
- Fraudulent sites spoofing reputable businesses—malicious actors often target popular sites for online holiday shopping.
- Unencrypted financial transactions. Make sure your information is being encrypted.