Upgrade to Spectrum Protect Client version 8.1 for Windows (EZ-Backup)
This article applies to: EZ-Backup
The software for the EZ-Backup service underwent major changes between version 7.1 and version 8.1. IBM changed the name to IBM Spectrum Protect (formerly Tivoli Storage Manager) and the look of the interface has changed. Most of the controls and procedures are either exactly the same or very similar.
Upgrade Instructions for Spectrum Protect Client v8.1 for
Windows Server 2019 Core (for Spectrum Protect 8.1.7 and higher)
Windows Server 2016
Windows Server Core 2016
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server Core 2012
Windows Server Core 2012 R2
This procedure requires that the computer is registered with the EZ-Backup service and that you have an earlier version of the TSM Client for Windows installed. Your existing configuration and log files will be retained. We'll have you check them during this process.
If you have upgraded your computer's operating system since installing the earlier version of the EZ-Backup client, we strongly urge that you write to us to request a filespace rename. Without a rename, should you need to recover files, your backups may contain a mixture of different versions of Windows, and that would be a bad thing.
For further advice, or to request that the EZ-Backup team rename your filespace, please email us at email@example.com and put 'Windows upgrade' in the subject of the email.
Run the Installer
Please review the Spectrum Project 8.1 Release Notes.
If you have customized or replaced the default configuration provided by the EZ-Backup team, your current configuration should still be appropriate. We on the EZ-Backup team have not made any changes to our delivered configuration for this version of the client; for reference, that is available here: EZ-Backup for Windows v8.1 configuration.
The install process requires that you be logged in as an administrative account on your Windows computer.
- Download the 64-bit SP v8.1 installer to your computer.
- Close your browser and any other open applications.
Locate the directory with the install you downloaded in step 1.
(The Windows default location is your Downloads folder.)
Right-click the installer, then select
This is necessary even though we told you to use an administrative account.
Click Next to accept the default directory location for the uncompressed files.
( C:\tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client )
- If the installer detects files from an earlier version, you will be prompted to overwrite the old files. If you see this prompt, click .
- Select , then click .
- If the installer indicates that one or more Microsoft C++ redistributable files must be installed, click Install.
- On the Tivoli Storage Manager welcome screen, click .
( C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM )
to accept the default installation directory.
- For Installation Type, select , then click .
- Click .
- When the installer completes the installtion, click .
Run the SP GUI client (which should be identified as a new application by the operating system) to verify that the configuration is unchanged.
If automated (scheduled) backups were configured for your previous installation, the SP installer will restart the scheduler service. (This can be verified via the services.msc application provided by Windows.)
- Delete the compressed installer file you downloaded (the default location is in C:\tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client).
- Delete the uncompressed installer files (the default location is in C:\tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client).