IT Career Framework Resources
Ways to build IT skills and prepare for opportunities
The IT Career Framework is about providing each individual in the IT@Cornell community with the skills needed for the rapidly changing IT world. It's also about your future:
- Get the right competencies.
- Develop the right skills: individual contributors, managers
- Reach for and land the right job.
Extend your reach by...
- Preparing for new job opportunities, some of which may not yet exist...
- Getting ready for technology not yet invented...
- Using technology to improve Cornell's processes and solve problems.
Use the IT Career Framework to...
- Understand competencies needed now and in the future...
- Find ways to build your skills...
- Become a critical thinker and creative problem solver...
- Adopt the mindset of a lifelong learner.
What to expect from the IT Career Framework
Development of the IT Career Framework is a key component of the IT@Cornell Strategic Plan (2013-2017). Progress to date and current initiatives are listed below.
|Increase visibility of IT Career Framework||In Progress.|
|Complete IT Badging Phase II||In Progress.|
|IT Mentoring IT-wide rollout||In Progress.|
|IT Badging Phase II||In Progress.|
|Complete recommended training and development opportunities for each job family||In Progress.|
|IT Mentoring pilot||Complete.|
|Mature the IT Orientation program.||Complete.|
|Recommend training and development opportunities for each job family.||Complete.|
|Develop a planning process and associated templates to help units create IT staffing plans.||On hold.|
|Focus on and prioritize developing the management skills of current IT managers at Cornell.||Complete. See IT Leadership Programs|
|Develop an IT employee orientation program.||Complete. See IT Orientation|
|Build the IT@Cornell Career Framework web resources/presence.||Available: You're there!|
Read the Career Development Committee's formal charter.