Support included with a hosted site, mailing lists to join, and information about backups
This article applies to: Static Web Hosting
When you set up a website or application using a CIT hosted environment, you manage your content and data, including applications, functionality, design, etc. The Web Services team manages and maintains the server hardware, the operating system software, and security patches and updates to these utility applications. Specifically, the Web Services team does the following:
Set up your machine. (For information about billing rates and machine expansion options, see the Fees and Billing page.)
- 1 CPU
- 2 GB memory
- 1 GB disk space
- Create user accounts. (To allow you to log on to the machine and add content.)
- Perform DNS configuration set up and modifications for both new sites and site transitions.
- Share best practices for website configuration files, such as .htaccess. (You're responsible for managing these files.)
When you report a problem, include your website address/URL and as much information regarding the issue or change as possible.
- Routine: Send email to email@example.com.
Urgent: Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Use "Urgent:" as the first word of the Subject line.
- After 6pm weekdays and all day weekends and holidays: Follow procedure for Urgent (see above), then call the IT Service Desk at 607-255-5500, press 0, and ask to speak to Web Services on-call. The on-call person will call you back as soon as possible.
Join Mailing Lists
Join systems users email list and hosting email list. Joining both lists is required. You'll receive important (infrequent) announcements about your services via these lists.
To subscribe to the systems-users-L email list, send a message with the word join in the subject to systems-users-Lemail@example.com.
To subscribe to the hosting email list, send a message with the word join in the subject to the appropriate email address:
- Cornell Stack: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Static Web: email@example.com
Backup and Restore
Incremental backups of the servers are performed nightly. Customer website data (those files uploaded via WebDAV and maintained by the customer) can be restored within certain criteria. Any requests for customer data restoration should sent to the Web Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This sample email shows what information to include:
"I need a restore of index.html for my website from last night's (2/25/2013) backup. My site is www.mysite.cornell.edu and the file location is: htdocs/mysite/index.html"