Minimum requirements to ensure contact, billing, and monitoring are set up on hosting service VMs
This article applies to: Static Web Hosting
Cornell Stack web servers are provided on dedicated virtual machines (VMs). The customer is the area manager in charge of that VM and is expected to complete the requirements below to ensure contact, billing, and monitoring are set up appropriately for their hosting services VM.
Join Required Mailing Lists
Join systems users email list and hosting email list. Joining both lists is required. You'll receive important (infrequent) announcements about your services via these lists.
To subscribe to the systems-users-L email list, send a message with the word join in the subject to systems-users-Lemail@example.com.
- To subscribe to the hosting email list, send a message with the word join in the subject to the appropriate email address:
Confirm the Account Number and Monthly Charge on Record
- View Monthly Fees: sfinfo.cit.cornell.edu/my_servers.php
- Details: Fees and Billing for Managed Virtual or Physical Servers
Create On-call Lists, Set Up Services, and Set Up Monitoring for Those Services
By default, you'll receive 5X9 server support for basic functionality.
To set up enhanced monitoring or 24x7 alert notifications, you must create an on-call list for the technical contacts for the server and services on it. This is only required if you want more than basic 5x9 support, but you must complete all three steps below to receive enhanced monitoring or alerts. An overview of the steps is available.
- How to set up contact information for monitoring and on-call.
- How to create/add a service for the monitoring system.
- How to confirm OpsView (monitoring system) notifications you will receive.
Confirm the Operating System Patching Schedule
Operating system (OS) patches are applied every six months. Services running on your VM will be down for a short time while the patch is applied. Review the patch schedule to be sure you understand when this outage will occur and make changes to the schedule, if necessary.
- View patch schedule: sfinfo.cit.cornell.edu/areamgrpatch.php
- Documentation page: Patch Management: Unix
Note Your Support Contacts
If you have issues with your VM and you're unable to diagnose or access the dashboard to stop/start services, support is available: