IWMS Timeline and Updates
This article applies to: Scheduling, Real Estate, and Facilities Inventory Project
In 2012-2013 a space study was conducted and four recommendations to space management technologies were suggested including:
- New Academic and Event Scheduling (AES) tool (replace R25)
- New Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS) to replace the Real Property Information Management System (RPIMS) and Facilities Inventory System (FIS)
- Create a space data mart to enhance utilization analyses
- Enhance analytics and reporting
In 2016 seed funding to create a Technologies Road Map was granted. Late President Garrett's survey to determine areas of administrative burden identified facilities inventory management and reservations as one of the top four areas for improvement.
The IWMS project is in the pre-implementation phase through Fall of 2018; replacing the RPIMS portion will be the first phase and the FIS the second phase.
A new revised timeline for the Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS) project has been established.
- January 2018 - September 2019: Pre-implementation work.
- October 2019: Start Phase I system configuration and user input, includes primarily Real Estate functionality.
- March 2020: Start Phase II system configuration and user input, includes facilities inventory.
FM:Systems and Cornell are in the process of signing a pre-engagement consulting services agreement. Real Estate and Facilities Inventory continue to make progress on their pre-implementation initiatives. Facilities Inventory has a hire pending for a new CADD drafter. Additionally, the IWMS Team is working on gathering success criteria for the IWMS Project.
The Real Estate Department and CIT completed the temporary database setup needed for lease abstraction activities of the IWMS project. Lease data needs to be extracted from 2500 lease documents in preparation for implementation of FM:Interact. Real Estate is now in the process of finalizing workflow and organizational details and beginning to abstract leases and amendments. Additionally, requirements have been drafted for Real Estate document management and storage and CIT is developing a proposed solution. CADD drawing standardization is underway for Facilities Inventory.
The IWMS project completed its needs analysis phase this month and submitted all critical path deliverables to the vendor FM:Systems. Over the next six weeks, the team will receive the final cost proposal from the vendor, will determine a final project budget, and will seek authorization to proceed from the governance committees. The Real Estate Phase expects to begin implementation by March 2019.
FM Systems hosted a space training in September and a CADD training with drafters in October. These trainings were to better understand the capabilities of the system and help with planning in the pre-implementation phase. Progress was made during these sessions as they were able to link drawings and data.
Additionally, in an effort to understand the impact of the transition away from the Facilities Inventory System (FIS) a survey was sent to units with known systems that consume FIS data to learn what data they are using from FIS and how we can better understand these customers’ needs as we transition to the Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS). We collected over 30 survey responses and for consumers of this downstream data we are continuing to assess the impact of this transition and are committed in maintaining the baseline expectation of your data needs from the system.
The project advisory team also met with members of DFA to understand the new lease accounting, FASB, requirements and how we can work together to support this need.
Real Estate, the Facilities Information Group, and other members of the IWMS team have continued their pre-implementation work. Real Estate has been lease scanning while the Facilities Information Group has been working on a CADD drawing fit-gap analysis. Both of these pre-implementation projects are expected to be done by the end of the year.
Additionally, the IWMS project team has scheduled a needs analysis with FM Systems who will come to campus in October 2018 to work with members of the project team.
Real Estate and the Facilities Inventory Group within FCS continue their pre-implementation work with an internal needs analysis. Additionally, they have been working on closing the FY18 inventory cycle, reviewing CAD files, and Real Estate has begun lease scanning.
A Room Type Coding Information session was held to discuss the room types that will be loaded into the new Academic and Events Scheduling System. You can view a recording of this presentation.
FM:Systems will be the vendor for the Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS) that is part of the Space Inventory project. For information on the vendor selection process visit the vendor selection space inventory page.
Our current tentative timeline for the project is:
- January 2018 - September 2018: Pre-implementation work
- October 2018 - May 2019: Phase I needs analysis and system configuration, includes primarily Real Estate functionality
- June 2019 - August 2019: User acceptance testing
- September 2019: IWMS Phase I planned cutover
- September 2019 - December 2019: Stabilization
- August 2019 - August 2020: Phase II needs analysis and system configuration
- August 2020 - October 2020: User acceptance testing
- November 2020: Phase II planned cutover
- November 2020 - January 2021: Stabilization