Skip to main content

Networking Questions About Wired Network for Students

Common questions about technical requirements and networking for the Wired Network Service for Students

This article applies to: Wired Network: Students

What are the requirements to use the wired network service?

Please see the Technical Requirements page.

Can I register more than one device?

Yes. Any device you want to use must be registered. For more information on how to register a non-browser device, see How to Register a Device without a Browser.

You may use a router, NAT, or similar device to connect multiple computers or other networkable devices with registration attached to the router. In this case, only the router or NAT needs to be registered.

Can I use my Xbox, PlayStation, or other game console or network-ready device with the wired network service?

Yes, but any game console, as well as any other network-ready device, must be registered with or behind a registered router. For more information, see How to Register a Device without a Browser.

Can I use my own Ethernet cable?

See the Technical Requirements page. You may try your own Ethernet cable, but most of the buildings serviced by CIT are networked using a Cornell-specific wiring standard. This wiring standard is incompatible with many Ethernet cables. If you are using your own Ethernet cable and have any problems, the first thing you must do is stop using your own cable and try the one provided in your room. The IT Service Desk consultants may not be able to assist you further with any problem until you have first tried the provided cable.

Residence halls that do not use the Cornell-specific wiring plant are as follows: Alice Cook, Carl Becker, Court, Hans Bethe, HILC (Low Rise #8), Kay, William T. Keeton, Mews, Flora Rose, and Schuyler. For these residences, you should be able to use your own (standard) Ethernet cable without problems. All other residences should use the cable provided, especially if you try your own cable and encounter network or performance problems.

The new West Campus buildings Alice Cook, Carl Becker, Hans Bethe, Flora Rose, and William T. Keeton are also an exception in that those users who want faster speeds than 10/100 Ethernet must supply and use their own Gigabit Ethernet cable. Additionally, if you have your own off-the-shelf network cable, even if it is not a Gigabit cable, this will generally give better performance in these locations than will the provided cable. In some cases, using the provided cable may require changing the settings on your Ethernet card to prevent it from trying to run at faster speeds than the provided cable can accommodate.  See the Technical Requirements page for more information.

Can I get a custom hostname for my computer?

IP addresses are dynamically assigned, so you won't have the same IP address. If you want your computer to be recognizable by a host name that does not change, then you need to use a dynamic DNS service. See the Dynamic DNS page for more information.

Can I use a Wi-Fi connection with the wired network service?

Personal Wi-Fi access points must not interfere with the operation of any CIT or Cornell Wi-Fi network or device. Any Wi-Fi access point found to be interfering with the operation of a CIT or Cornell Wi-Fi network or device may be subject to immediate removal from the network until the interference is resolved. See here to register a Non-CIT Wireless Access Point.

Also, the performance of RedRover Wi-Fi may suffer service degradation in the presence of other devices that operate in the same radio frequencies. Devices that can interfere with Wi-Fi include, but are not limited to, unregistered wireless access points, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz cordless handset telephones, 2.4 GHz wireless cameras, wireless video/audio transmissions and transceivers, and microwave ovens.

Warning: Users should be particularly cautious of operating their own Wi-Fi access point as these devices, if unsecured, can be used by other individuals with Wi-Fi cards to access the network and generate usage charges on the connection belonging to the owner of the Wi-Fi access point. It is the responsibility of the subscriber to secure, monitor, and administer their Wi-Fi access point if they choose to operate one. Operators of a Wi-Fi access point will be held responsible for all network usage charges incurred, and may also be held liable for any misuse, including if the Wi-Fi node is accessed by other individuals. See here for more information on Network Registry Policy 5.7.

I have a registered device, but cannot connect to the campus network. What do I do?

The jack you are trying to connect with could be a Department-maintained connection and you should contact that department Network Administer. Also, see the Support page or contact the IT Service Desk for additional assistance.

How do I know if there's a problem with the network?

To check the current network status for the University, go to the Current status of CIT services page. Any known (planned or unplanned) network outages, service issues, or other problems will be reported on this page.

If I have an Ethernet card that won't support Gigabit speeds, does that mean my network connection will be slow in a building with Gigabit connectivity?

No. If you have a 10/100 Ethernet card, you will still have 100 Mbps speed, which is the speed available in any other residence hall served by CIT (outside of the new West Campus buildings).

Was this page helpful?

Your feedback helps improve the site.