Developers Learn How WAI-ARIA Can Improve Accessibility
The following information can be added to webpages using WAI-ARIA:
- Roles to describe the type of widget presented, such as "menu," "treeitem," "slider," and "progressbar."
- Roles to describe the structure of the webpage, such as headings, regions, search areas, and navigation areas.
- Properties to describe the state widgets are in, such as "checked" for a check box, "haspopup" for a menu that renders a sub-menu or other popup, and "expanded/collapsed" for a tree node.
- Properties to define live regions of a page that are likely to get updates, such as stock quotes, as well as an interruption policy for those updates.
- Properties for drag-and-drop that describe drag sources and drop targets.
- A method to provide keyboard navigation for rich internet widgets.
Using WAI-ARIA incorrectly can misrepresent the visual experience of your website, potentially making it less accessible. To use WAI-ARIA correctly and to meet compliance use the resources below.
For more information on WAI-ARIA you can visit: