Add Multiple E-list Members via Email Commands (Lyris)
This article applies to: E-lists (Lyris)
Only list administrators may add members (other than themselves) to an e-list.
We recommend that you add multiple members to a list using the Import Members from CSV File method. It works better than the method described below.
This page has a lot of notes with exclamation points. That's because the details are both tricky and important. Please proceed carefully.
Before following the procedure here, check your list's New Subscriber Policy as described in our Who Can Join article.
- If Security (step 4) it is set to or , continue with the steps below.
- If Security (step 4) set to , change it temporarily to , perform the steps below, then go back and reset it to .
To add multiple members to a list, send an email message to
where listname is the name of the list including the hyphen and the letter L at the end of the list name.
Your message will have several (or many) lines of text, based on the following syntax:
add quiet subform <<
- password is your password as administrator of the e-list
- emailaddress is the full address of the new member
- name is the name of the person being added
The double "less than" signs and double "greater than" signs are required to show the beginning and end of your list of new members.
The names are optional. You can include names on some lines and not on others if that suits your needs.
There should be no quotation marks anywhere in your message.
The message must be sent in plain text, that is, no formatting, font styles, or HTML code. (How do I send plain text?)
The syntax described above will add each address as a normal member of your list, without asking the people for confirmation and without sending them the "Hello, welcome to the list" message.
- If you want people to receive the "Hello" message, remove the word "quiet."
- If an address is already a member of the list, this syntax will change their status to "normal." If you want current members to remain with their current status, remove the word "subform."