Install TSM Client for Windows v7.1 (EZ-Backup)
This article applies to: EZ-Backup
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2008
These instructions are for x32 and x64 systems only, not for IA64 systems. (What are x32, x64, and IA64 systems?)
This procedure requires that the computer is registered with the EZ-Backup service. If this computer is not yet registered, please go to the EZ-Backup Subscription Page.
Getting Ready to Install
Before You Begin the Installation
Locate your copy of the email confirming your subscription that contains:
- TSM Node Name
- Initial Password
- TSM TCP Server Address
- TSM TCP Port Address
Review the README file for important information about system requirements, fixes, features, and known problems with this release.
Your system may restart automatically one or more times during the installation process. Be sure to save your work and close all applications before proceeding.
Download the Installer
- Log into Windows using an account with FULL ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES.
Download the 64-bit TSM v7.1 installer to your computer.
(32-bit installer available upon request via email@example.com)
Run the Installer
- Close your browser and any other open applications.
- Locate the directory with the installer you downloaded above.
Right-click the installer, then select
(This is necessary, even though you are logged on using system admin credentials.)
Click Next to accept the default directory location for the uncompressed files
( C:\tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client ).
If the installer detects files from an earlier version in this directory, you will be prompted to confirm you want to overwrite the old files. If you see this prompt, select .
- Select as the language to use, then click .
- If the installer indicates that one or more Microsoft C++ redistributable files must be installed, click .
- On the Tivoli Storage Manager welcome screen, click .
( C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM ).
to accept the default installation directory
- For installation type, select , then click .
- Click .
- When the installer completes the installation, click .
Verify the installation.
- On Windows 7, Click > > . You should see both the Backup-Archive client and the Backup-Archive GUI listed there.
- On Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, click . Click , then scroll down to the folder. Click the down arrow; you should see both the Backup-Archive client and the Backup-Archive GUI listed there.
Configuring the Client Software
If your department has its own configuration file, follow the procedure for using that file instead of the procedure listed here, then continue with the next section, Configure Automatic Backups.
- Download the EZ-Backup zipped configuration file.
- Locate the directory with the configuration file you just downloaded.
- If necessary, double-click the zip file to extract the configuration file.
Copy the file EZ-Backup.Windows.v7140.dsm.opt into the
Be sure you copy the file that ends with "opt" and not the file that ends with "zip"
- Rename the file dsm.opt
Run the GUI client:
- On Windows 7, Click > > > .
- On Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, click > > > .
- In the User Access Control dialog box, click to allow the client to run.
- In Window Firewall's Security Alert dialog box, click for the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager AGENT Client to run on Private Networks.
- At the TCP/IP invalid host name prompt, click .
- When asked Do you wish to continue for purposed of local backupset restore? click .
- In the Tivoli Storage Manager Client window, click , then select .
- On the Welcome screen, select , then click .
- Click to start the wizard.
- Verify that Update my options file is selected, then click .
- On the TSM Node Name screen, specify the TSM Node Name supplied in the EZ-Backup confirmation email you received, then click .
- Verify that TCP/IP is selected, then click .
- On the TCP/IP Options screen, specify the server address (TSM TCP Server Address) and port (TSM TCP Port) information supplied in the EZ-Backup confirmation email you received, then click .
- Click to accept the recommended Include/Exclude List.
- Click to accept the recommended Common File Exclusion List
- Click to accept the recommended Domain for Backup.
- Click to confirm and accept this configuration
- When prompted, enter as the password the Initial Password from the EZ-Backup confirmation email you received.
- When notified of a successful configuration, click .
- In the menu of the TSM GUI client, select .
- Click to put a check next to Help me configure the TSM Client Scheduler, then click
- In the TSM Scheduler Wizard screen, click .
- In the Scheduler Task screen, select Install a new or additional scheduler and click .
- In TSM Scheduler name and location screen, accept the default TSM Scheduler Name (TSM Client Scheduler), click the checkbox, then click .
- In the Web service name screen, verify the default TSM Acceptor Name is "TSM Client Acceptor" then click .
- In the Option File Name and Location screen, click (accepting the default file name and location).
- In the Web Client Options screen, click (accepting the default port).
- On the TSM Authentication screen, verify that the Node Name matches that listed in the EZ-Backup confirmation email you received. Enter the Initial Password (also supplied in the EZ-Backup confirmation email you received), then click .
- At the Service login options screen, for When do you want the service to start, select , then click .
- On the Log file names and options screen, click (accepting default names and locations).
- On the Start Option screen, select , then click .
- On the Confirm screen, click . Wait for the process to finish.
- If prompted by firewall or other security software, allow the TSM Backup Service (a.k.a. dsmsvc.eve) to access the Internet.
- Click to exit the wizard.
- Verify the configuration.
- Exit the TSM client.
- Delete the compressed installer file you downloaded.
- Delete the zipped and unzipped configuration file (the original, not the copy you renamed) you downloaded.
Make sure your power management settings do not prevent your system from performing automated (scheduled) backups.
A system that is powered off, or in sleep or hibernate states, can not perform a backup.
- Change your EZ-Backup password.