COECIS Linux Printing
Printing with Linux in CoECIS
This article applies to: CoE CIS IT Service Group
Add a Specific Printer
(CUPS version 1.6 and later; Ubuntu 13.04 and later)
These steps are all done using the web browser to ensure continuity between Linux distros.
- Review the list of COECIS printers at: http://cupsprint3.coecis.cornell.edu:631/printers/. Note the Queue Name of the printer you plan to connect to.
- Go to: http://localhost:631/admin.
- Click . Enter local username and password when prompted.
Under Other Network Printers, choose Internet Printing Protocol (ipp), and then click .
In Connection, enter:
where <printername> is the name listed under Queue Name on http://cupsprint3.coecis.cornell.edu:631/printers/, and then click .
In Name, enter whatever you want to call the printer, and then click
In Make, choose, and then click .
In Model list, choose
On Set Default Options for <printername>, click
Printing with Command Lines – lpr
Basic commands to print from the command line include:
- List available printers: ‘lpstat --p --d’
- Print to a specific printer: ‘lpr --d printer filename’