Set Folder Access Levels
This article applies to: Box
You can control the access levels of your Box folders to allow access to team members or keep the content private. By default, when you create a folder in Box, the default access level is Collaborators Only. You can still set the access to any level by viewing the contents of the folder, then clicking in the Sharing section in the pane on the right. The access level choices are:
- Open: anyone with the link can access the content.
- Your Company: anyone with a cornell.edu email address and all collaborators (regardless of their address) can access the content.
- Collaborators Only: the folder is private, and only viewable by you and any collaborators you specify.
- No link: Only collaborators can access the content. You cannot create a direct link to the content.
If you created a folder before March 24, 2014, when the default setting was changed, the sharing defaults for previously created collaboration folders may be different. You should check all your existing folders for two things: should the access level be more restrictive, and is the current list of collaborators as expected.
Box is somewhat quirky in that it will only show you the access level for folders where you have recently shown interest in seeing the access level, so you may come back to find that the access level is no longer displayed in the right column. If this happens, just click Get a link, then click Close in the dialog box. The access level will now be displayed again.
How to Change the Access Level of an Existing Folder
- In Box, navigate to the folder.
- In the right column, look under Sharing. You will either see "Get a link to this item" or you will see an access level listed. Follow the steps below for your situation.
Click Get a link to this item. A dialog box will open.
- Just under the name of the folder, you'll see the current access level listed (Open Access, Company Access, or Collaborator Only Access). Click this, then select the desired access level from the choices that appear.
- Click Close.
Click the access level listed.
- Select the desired access level from the choices that appear.
Check List of Collaborators
In Box, navigate to a folder.
In the right column, you'll see a list of Collaborators. Review this list to see if anyone inappropriate or unexpected is listed.
To remove a person, hover over their name, then click the X icon.
If the list is long, be sure to click the more collaborators link at the bottom of displayed names to open a Folder Collaborators dialog box that displays the whole list. To remove someone from the dialog box, click the access level next to their name, then select Remove.